Black president or no, we’re still living in a White Man’s World. Having exposed the (literal) whitewashing of world history to efface the achievements of African antiquity on the previously-featured This Land, Will Brennan tackles the contemporary consequences of institutionalized racism on the latest world premiere off his DJBooth-sponsored street album. Where the aforementioned jam found the Panhandle State phenom addressing his black brothers and sisters, this joint sees Brennan issuing a wakeup call to white folks who can’t understand why many people of color engage in seemingly self-destructive behavior. Over Hippie Sabotage‘s street-ready synth-sample production, he connects the dots between the slave ships of yesteryear and the modern-day African-American experience. Fellow Floridian spitter J NICS grabs the mic on the back, emphasizing his pride in his heritage and his painful awareness of how whites perceive him. This insightful cut and much more can be found on Brennan’s Rite of Passage project, set to drop Feb 16. Additionally, fans will be able to catch Will Brennan, NICS, Sin and Phresh James performing at the DJBooth/AshleyOutrageous-sponsored The Rising showcase, going down tomorrow night at Miami venue The Stage.
Written by richard on 02/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait for Me" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.