Given that Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the most renowned (and covered) songs in modern rock history, I shouldn’t be too surprised that someone had the bright idea to create a a dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the record. A good dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the Nirvana classic? Now that would be a shocker. Though, on paper, those disparate ingredients seem about as compatible as orange juice and toothpaste, Will Brennan and beatsmith Dual do the impossible with Smells Like June 11, blending them into a delicious toothpaste/orange juice smoothie. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut finds the producer deftly extracting Kurt Cobain’s vocals from their original context, switching the original’s fuzzed-out guitars and pounding rhythm section that originally backed Kurt Cobain’s vocals with squelching bass and syncopated kick-snare grooves. On the lyrical tip, Brennan takes the opportunity to introduce new fans to his past work, reprising verses from June 11 and Skateboard Wheels. A “remix” in the fullest sense of the word, this audacious mashup is just the beginning of the dope revamps in store on Will Brennan and Dual’s forthcoming remix project; keep it locked you-know-where for further release details!
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait for Me" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.