Given that Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the most renowned (and covered) songs in modern rock history, I shouldn’t be too surprised that someone had the bright idea to create a a dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the record. A good dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the Nirvana classic? Now that would be a shocker. Though, on paper, those disparate ingredients seem about as compatible as orange juice and toothpaste, Will Brennan and beatsmith Dual do the impossible with Smells Like June 11, blending them into a delicious toothpaste/orange juice smoothie. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut finds the producer deftly extracting Kurt Cobain’s vocals from their original context, switching the original’s fuzzed-out guitars and pounding rhythm section that originally backed Kurt Cobain’s vocals with squelching bass and syncopated kick-snare grooves. On the lyrical tip, Brennan takes the opportunity to introduce new fans to his past work, reprising verses from June 11 and Skateboard Wheels. A “remix” in the fullest sense of the word, this audacious mashup is just the beginning of the dope revamps in store on Will Brennan and Dual’s forthcoming remix project; keep it locked you-know-where for further release details!
Written by richard on 09/11/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait for Me" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.