Given that Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the most renowned (and covered) songs in modern rock history, I shouldn’t be too surprised that someone had the bright idea to create a a dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the record. A good dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the Nirvana classic? Now that would be a shocker. Though, on paper, those disparate ingredients seem about as compatible as orange juice and toothpaste, Will Brennan and beatsmith Dual do the impossible with Smells Like June 11, blending them into a delicious toothpaste/orange juice smoothie. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut finds the producer deftly extracting Kurt Cobain’s vocals from their original context, switching the original’s fuzzed-out guitars and pounding rhythm section that originally backed Kurt Cobain’s vocals with squelching bass and syncopated kick-snare grooves. On the lyrical tip, Brennan takes the opportunity to introduce new fans to his past work, reprising verses from June 11 and Skateboard Wheels. A “remix” in the fullest sense of the word, this audacious mashup is just the beginning of the dope revamps in store on Will Brennan and Dual’s forthcoming remix project; keep it locked you-know-where for further release details!
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait for Me" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)