Given that Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the most renowned (and covered) songs in modern rock history, I shouldn’t be too surprised that someone had the bright idea to create a a dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the record. A good dubstep-inspired hip-hop remix of the Nirvana classic? Now that would be a shocker. Though, on paper, those disparate ingredients seem about as compatible as orange juice and toothpaste, Will Brennan and beatsmith Dual do the impossible with Smells Like June 11, blending them into a delicious toothpaste/orange juice smoothie. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this newly-leaked cut finds the producer deftly extracting Kurt Cobain’s vocals from their original context, switching the original’s fuzzed-out guitars and pounding rhythm section that originally backed Kurt Cobain’s vocals with squelching bass and syncopated kick-snare grooves. On the lyrical tip, Brennan takes the opportunity to introduce new fans to his past work, reprising verses from June 11 and Skateboard Wheels. A “remix” in the fullest sense of the word, this audacious mashup is just the beginning of the dope revamps in store on Will Brennan and Dual’s forthcoming remix project; keep it locked you-know-where for further release details!
Written by richard on 09/11/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wait for Me" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.