What, you haven’t jumped on the Wil May buzz train? Well, What You Waiting For? While the Michigan-bred, ATL-based rapper/beatsmith may lack the Southern twang you might expect from a Grand Hustle signee, his latest EP single (and first Booth feature) is a clear indicator of his potential. Showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, May flips a keyboard-led groove sampled from Frou Frou’s Let Go (yep, that’s Imogen Heap on the chorus) into a pensive backdrop for his reflections on the grind. In introspective verses, Wil expresses his confidence in his abilities, and his frustration with the waiting game – in his own words, “I need it right now, so bad it f*cking hurts.” It’s a sentiment we’ve heard from a thousand other hip-hop hopefuls, but it’s a genuine one, and May’s mix of melodic flows and fluid melodies makes for a certifiably fresh end product. When it comes time for this up-and-comer to spread his wings, will he soar or fall? I think I know the answer, but I’ll leave it to Booth readers to speculate. Those digging WYWF should keep it locked for details on his EP of the same name, scheduled for release “soon.”
Written by richard on 11/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Maybe Love" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.