What, you haven’t jumped on the Wil May buzz train? Well, What You Waiting For? While the Michigan-bred, ATL-based rapper/beatsmith may lack the Southern twang you might expect from a Grand Hustle signee, his latest EP single (and first Booth feature) is a clear indicator of his potential. Showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, May flips a keyboard-led groove sampled from Frou Frou’s Let Go (yep, that’s Imogen Heap on the chorus) into a pensive backdrop for his reflections on the grind. In introspective verses, Wil expresses his confidence in his abilities, and his frustration with the waiting game – in his own words, “I need it right now, so bad it f*cking hurts.” It’s a sentiment we’ve heard from a thousand other hip-hop hopefuls, but it’s a genuine one, and May’s mix of melodic flows and fluid melodies makes for a certifiably fresh end product. When it comes time for this up-and-comer to spread his wings, will he soar or fall? I think I know the answer, but I’ll leave it to Booth readers to speculate. Those digging WYWF should keep it locked for details on his EP of the same name, scheduled for release “soon.”
Written by richard on 11/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Maybe Love" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.