What, you haven’t jumped on the Wil May buzz train? Well, What You Waiting For? While the Michigan-bred, ATL-based rapper/beatsmith may lack the Southern twang you might expect from a Grand Hustle signee, his latest EP single (and first Booth feature) is a clear indicator of his potential. Showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, May flips a keyboard-led groove sampled from Frou Frou’s Let Go (yep, that’s Imogen Heap on the chorus) into a pensive backdrop for his reflections on the grind. In introspective verses, Wil expresses his confidence in his abilities, and his frustration with the waiting game – in his own words, “I need it right now, so bad it f*cking hurts.” It’s a sentiment we’ve heard from a thousand other hip-hop hopefuls, but it’s a genuine one, and May’s mix of melodic flows and fluid melodies makes for a certifiably fresh end product. When it comes time for this up-and-comer to spread his wings, will he soar or fall? I think I know the answer, but I’ll leave it to Booth readers to speculate. Those digging WYWF should keep it locked for details on his EP of the same name, scheduled for release “soon.”
Written by richard on 11/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Maybe Love" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.