In today’s game, geographical boundaries are blurrier than ever, and artists tend to choose influences and collaborators without regard to regional loyalties. As great as it is to see rappers expanding their horizons, though, there’s something uniquely dope about hearing several of a region’s freshest talents get together and ”...do it for the Hometeam.” On his latest single, Orlando representative Wes Fif gathers a few of the Dirty South’s best and brightest for a no-holds-barred showcase of mic skills. Backed by producer Phoenix’ street-ready synth-stabs and hi-hat-heavy percussion, Fif, Meridian phenom Big K.R.I.T., G.O.O.D.-signed ATLien CyHi Da Prynce and Hollyweerd member Dreamer drop verses packed from top to bottom with dope flows, hot lines, and did I mention dope flows? While the highlight of the record, for me, was learning that it’s possible to rhyme “Van Gogh” with “sandals,” I’ll let our resident Southern-rap lovers cast the final ballot on who came out on top. Whatever your take on the matter, you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Fif’s forthcoming project, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 01/20/11
Submit your Rating
Street Smart Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wastin' Your Time ft. Eliseo (of Treal)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.