In today’s game, geographical boundaries are blurrier than ever, and artists tend to choose influences and collaborators without regard to regional loyalties. As great as it is to see rappers expanding their horizons, though, there’s something uniquely dope about hearing several of a region’s freshest talents get together and ”...do it for the Hometeam.” On his latest single, Orlando representative Wes Fif gathers a few of the Dirty South’s best and brightest for a no-holds-barred showcase of mic skills. Backed by producer Phoenix’ street-ready synth-stabs and hi-hat-heavy percussion, Fif, Meridian phenom Big K.R.I.T., G.O.O.D.-signed ATLien CyHi Da Prynce and Hollyweerd member Dreamer drop verses packed from top to bottom with dope flows, hot lines, and did I mention dope flows? While the highlight of the record, for me, was learning that it’s possible to rhyme “Van Gogh” with “sandals,” I’ll let our resident Southern-rap lovers cast the final ballot on who came out on top. Whatever your take on the matter, you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Fif’s forthcoming project, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 01/20/11
Submit your Rating
Street Smart Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wastin' Your Time ft. Eliseo (of Treal)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.