In today’s game, geographical boundaries are blurrier than ever, and artists tend to choose influences and collaborators without regard to regional loyalties. As great as it is to see rappers expanding their horizons, though, there’s something uniquely dope about hearing several of a region’s freshest talents get together and ”...do it for the Hometeam.” On his latest single, Orlando representative Wes Fif gathers a few of the Dirty South’s best and brightest for a no-holds-barred showcase of mic skills. Backed by producer Phoenix’ street-ready synth-stabs and hi-hat-heavy percussion, Fif, Meridian phenom Big K.R.I.T., G.O.O.D.-signed ATLien CyHi Da Prynce and Hollyweerd member Dreamer drop verses packed from top to bottom with dope flows, hot lines, and did I mention dope flows? While the highlight of the record, for me, was learning that it’s possible to rhyme “Van Gogh” with “sandals,” I’ll let our resident Southern-rap lovers cast the final ballot on who came out on top. Whatever your take on the matter, you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Fif’s forthcoming project, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 01/20/11
Submit your Rating
Street Smart Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wastin' Your Time ft. Eliseo (of Treal)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.