In today’s game, geographical boundaries are blurrier than ever, and artists tend to choose influences and collaborators without regard to regional loyalties. As great as it is to see rappers expanding their horizons, though, there’s something uniquely dope about hearing several of a region’s freshest talents get together and ”...do it for the Hometeam.” On his latest single, Orlando representative Wes Fif gathers a few of the Dirty South’s best and brightest for a no-holds-barred showcase of mic skills. Backed by producer Phoenix’ street-ready synth-stabs and hi-hat-heavy percussion, Fif, Meridian phenom Big K.R.I.T., G.O.O.D.-signed ATLien CyHi Da Prynce and Hollyweerd member Dreamer drop verses packed from top to bottom with dope flows, hot lines, and did I mention dope flows? While the highlight of the record, for me, was learning that it’s possible to rhyme “Van Gogh” with “sandals,” I’ll let our resident Southern-rap lovers cast the final ballot on who came out on top. Whatever your take on the matter, you’ll want to keep it locked for details on Fif’s forthcoming project, which has yet to receive a title or release date.
Written by richard on 01/20/11
Street Smart Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wastin' Your Time ft. Eliseo (of Treal)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.