North Carolina emcee Well$ seems to enjoy giving his songs literal titles. For example, his first featured record this past May was appropriately titled My 1st Single. On his latest effort, Youth In Revolt, the young emcee revolts against the traditional verse-hook-verse formula, relentlessly gracing the track for over three full minutes. Matching the speed of the fast-paced Madizm & Sec.Undo production, Well$ engages with a raspy, rapid-fire flow that is powerfully delivered and rings out atop the beat. While some would be content with a fluid and powerful sound, Well$ delves deeper, using slick wordplay to broach topics such as parental expectations and his desire for success. This cut is a promo single, so it is not attached to anything larger, but keep it locked for more from the revolting (in a good way) emcee.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/21/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My 1st Single" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.