North Carolina emcee Well$ seems to enjoy giving his songs literal titles. For example, his first featured record this past May was appropriately titled My 1st Single. On his latest effort, Youth In Revolt, the young emcee revolts against the traditional verse-hook-verse formula, relentlessly gracing the track for over three full minutes. Matching the speed of the fast-paced Madizm & Sec.Undo production, Well$ engages with a raspy, rapid-fire flow that is powerfully delivered and rings out atop the beat. While some would be content with a fluid and powerful sound, Well$ delves deeper, using slick wordplay to broach topics such as parental expectations and his desire for success. This cut is a promo single, so it is not attached to anything larger, but keep it locked for more from the revolting (in a good way) emcee.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/21/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My 1st Single" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)