Well$‘s last mixtape single, Black Swan, saw the Congolese-American emcee spitting about an exotic dancer with a past full of familial strife and psychic pain. On the freshly-released follow-up he once again uses his skills as a storyteller to illuminate the dark corners of an unlikely character’s mind. This time, though, the stakes are considerably higher. Lil Tommy follows a teenage outcast as he and a friend plot and execute a shooting at their high school. Over Shurik’n and THE BL∆CK HE∆RTS CLUB moody boom-bap production, laced with thematically-appropriate samples from Biggie and KRS-One, Well$ paints a multifaceted portrait of a mass killer, juxtaposing the main character’s troubled home life with the brutal consequences of his actions. Sammus assists on the guest tip. Fans will be able to find this bracing, provocative jam on the artist’s MTSYD: The Revenge of the African Booty Scratcher street album, due out digitally at a yet-unannounced date later this month.
Written by richard on 04/4/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Youth In Revolt" (2013)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.