Well$‘s last mixtape single, Black Swan, saw the Congolese-American emcee spitting about an exotic dancer with a past full of familial strife and psychic pain. On the freshly-released follow-up he once again uses his skills as a storyteller to illuminate the dark corners of an unlikely character’s mind. This time, though, the stakes are considerably higher. Lil Tommy follows a teenage outcast as he and a friend plot and execute a shooting at their high school. Over Shurik’n and THE BL∆CK HE∆RTS CLUB moody boom-bap production, laced with thematically-appropriate samples from Biggie and KRS-One, Well$ paints a multifaceted portrait of a mass killer, juxtaposing the main character’s troubled home life with the brutal consequences of his actions. Sammus assists on the guest tip. Fans will be able to find this bracing, provocative jam on the artist’s MTSYD: The Revenge of the African Booty Scratcher street album, due out digitally at a yet-unannounced date later this month.
Written by richard on 04/4/14
In just a little over a year, independent emcee WELL$ has been featured seven times on our homepage. Clearly, the Charlotte, North Carolina native is doing something right. Don't just take our word for it, though. His new...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Youth In Revolt" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.