Well$‘s last mixtape single, Black Swan, saw the Congolese-American emcee spitting about an exotic dancer with a past full of familial strife and psychic pain. On the freshly-released follow-up he once again uses his skills as a storyteller to illuminate the dark corners of an unlikely character’s mind. This time, though, the stakes are considerably higher. Lil Tommy follows a teenage outcast as he and a friend plot and execute a shooting at their high school. Over Shurik’n and THE BL∆CK HE∆RTS CLUB moody boom-bap production, laced with thematically-appropriate samples from Biggie and KRS-One, Well$ paints a multifaceted portrait of a mass killer, juxtaposing the main character’s troubled home life with the brutal consequences of his actions. Sammus assists on the guest tip. Fans will be able to find this bracing, provocative jam on the artist’s MTSYD: The Revenge of the African Booty Scratcher street album, due out digitally at a yet-unannounced date later this month.
Written by richard on 04/4/14
In just a little over a year, independent emcee WELL$ has been featured seven times on our homepage. Clearly, the Charlotte, North Carolina native is doing something right. Don't just take our word for it, though. His new...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Youth In Revolt" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.