Tunes appropriate for late nights filled with bottle-popping revelry are never in short supply, but what about The Morning after, when you wake up with the room spinning and a headache the size of Texas? OK, so R&B-lovers haven’t exactly been clamoring for hangover music – but, hey, a true innovator creates his own market, and Booth newcomer The Weeknd has this one cornered. The T-dot buzzmaker’s latest single finds producers Doc Mckinney and Illangelo blending hazy synth washes and liquid blues-guitar riffs to narcotically hazy effect, as the T-dot native croons about the fallout of his latest bender: “Got the walls kickin’ like they six months pregnant…. girls callin’ cabs at dawn, quarter to seven..” Though the lingering effects of codeine and liquor have him feeling like a “[zombie] of the night,” emotion shines through his flat affect as he revisits his memories of a certain female – he knew she wasn’t going to stick around, but he has to admit that the “girl put in work.” Smooth, sexy and slightly disorienting, this joint is guaranteed to leave fans of unconventional R&B vibes intrigued. If that sounds like you, more freshness awaits on Weeknd’s House of Balloons mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 03/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rolling Stone" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.