Tunes appropriate for late nights filled with bottle-popping revelry are never in short supply, but what about The Morning after, when you wake up with the room spinning and a headache the size of Texas? OK, so R&B-lovers haven’t exactly been clamoring for hangover music – but, hey, a true innovator creates his own market, and Booth newcomer The Weeknd has this one cornered. The T-dot buzzmaker’s latest single finds producers Doc Mckinney and Illangelo blending hazy synth washes and liquid blues-guitar riffs to narcotically hazy effect, as the T-dot native croons about the fallout of his latest bender: “Got the walls kickin’ like they six months pregnant…. girls callin’ cabs at dawn, quarter to seven..” Though the lingering effects of codeine and liquor have him feeling like a “[zombie] of the night,” emotion shines through his flat affect as he revisits his memories of a certain female – he knew she wasn’t going to stick around, but he has to admit that the “girl put in work.” Smooth, sexy and slightly disorienting, this joint is guaranteed to leave fans of unconventional R&B vibes intrigued. If that sounds like you, more freshness awaits on Weeknd’s House of Balloons mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 03/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rolling Stone" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.