Rappers and NYPD officers are two groups you wouldn’t typically think of as having a lot in common, but in the inexplicable event that an emcee found himself making small talk with one of New York’s finest, I can think of at least one potential topic of conversation: the Chevy Impala. The model is a favorite of hip-hop artists (in its iconic ‘64 incarnation) and a common choice for police cruisers, as well as being popularly associated with street crime. On the latest single off Weekend Money‘s forthcoming, Booth-hosted project (following June’s Yellow), the Big Apple twosome play on this ambiguity; over crewmate Baghdaddy‘s dissonant, vocal-sampled production, NE$$ describes the queasy feeling of having one of the titular vehicles creep up on you—though the circumstances many vary according to your skin color and line of work, the results are nearly never pretty. Originally scheduled to drop this week, the crew’s Naked City has been pushed back to the end of September. Keep it locked for further release details, as well as the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 09/13/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.