Rappers and NYPD officers are two groups you wouldn’t typically think of as having a lot in common, but in the inexplicable event that an emcee found himself making small talk with one of New York’s finest, I can think of at least one potential topic of conversation: the Chevy Impala. The model is a favorite of hip-hop artists (in its iconic ‘64 incarnation) and a common choice for police cruisers, as well as being popularly associated with street crime. On the latest single off Weekend Money‘s forthcoming, Booth-hosted project (following June’s Yellow), the Big Apple twosome play on this ambiguity; over crewmate Baghdaddy‘s dissonant, vocal-sampled production, NE$$ describes the queasy feeling of having one of the titular vehicles creep up on you—though the circumstances many vary according to your skin color and line of work, the results are nearly never pretty. Originally scheduled to drop this week, the crew’s Naked City has been pushed back to the end of September. Keep it locked for further release details, as well as the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 09/13/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.