Rappers and NYPD officers are two groups you wouldn’t typically think of as having a lot in common, but in the inexplicable event that an emcee found himself making small talk with one of New York’s finest, I can think of at least one potential topic of conversation: the Chevy Impala. The model is a favorite of hip-hop artists (in its iconic ‘64 incarnation) and a common choice for police cruisers, as well as being popularly associated with street crime. On the latest single off Weekend Money‘s forthcoming, Booth-hosted project (following June’s Yellow), the Big Apple twosome play on this ambiguity; over crewmate Baghdaddy‘s dissonant, vocal-sampled production, NE$$ describes the queasy feeling of having one of the titular vehicles creep up on you—though the circumstances many vary according to your skin color and line of work, the results are nearly never pretty. Originally scheduled to drop this week, the crew’s Naked City has been pushed back to the end of September. Keep it locked for further release details, as well as the latest tunes.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.