If you know your West Coast hip-hop, then you know WC – an alumnus of ‘90s crew Westside Connection as well as a veteran solo artist, he’s been a staple of the Cali scene for many a year. And if you haven’t been acquainted, well, consider yourself introduced. Released earlier this month, current single You Know Me should give you a good idea of what the South Central mainstay’s all about. With Hallway Productionz’ stomp-clap percussion, synth-bass and skittering string samples banging in the background, he delivers a booming chronicle of his daily grind – hustling, popping bottles, rolling through the hood with a bad b*tch by his side… – liberally spiced with pop-referential wit (“ shake up the audience like Mike Vick walkin’ in a dog show.”). Assisting on the guest tip are Booth newcomer Malay, who reps his region and shows off his tats on the middle, and Westside partner-in-rhyme Ice Cube, who brings the record to a strong finish with some reedy hood talk. Craving more street-ready jams? Stay tuned – WC’s fourth solo set, Revenge of the Barracuda has yet to receive a release date, but you’ll be first to know when that changes.
Written by richard on 01/24/11
Submit your Rating
Swag Records/Entertainment One Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Is Los Angeles ft. Ice Cube" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.