The French have a phrase, “esprit d’escalier,” for those clever comebacks that pop into your head minutes or hours after the appropriate moment has passed. On the latest entry in his DJBooth and Earmilk-presented Unplugged series (filmed and edited by Intense Imagination), Wax addresses a related, but to my knowledge nameless situation: thinking of smooth sh*t you could have said to that gorgeous girl or guy who you were too Stupefied to speak to when they were in your immediate vicinity. The artist’s backing band make an impressive show of versatility on this cut, crafting a jazzy lounge groove led by some impressive keyboard work (Greg Wells and EOM handle production), and Wax switches up his lyrical style to match, trading in his usual self-deprecating wit for bashful yet charming, polysyllabically-rhymed poetry: “I’ve seen pretty women before but this is overkill / Just one look impairs my basic motor skills.” Wax may have missed his opportunity with that one particular female (Never say never!), but I have a feeling listeners of both genders will be won over by this starstruck banger. If you’re digging it, then be sure to check back with us next Monday for another Unplugged video single.
Written by richard on 10/1/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.