Breaking up with your label is never easy but, in the case of Wax‘s recent split with Def Jam, their parting ways may have been a blessing in disguise. For one thing, the Booth fave’s current single, Rosana, has risen to 3.2 million views on YouTube in the time since. For another, it’s hard to imagine the DMV repper happy in the world of boardroom meetings, constant pressure and artistic compromise that is the major-label hustle. By way of evidence, I present the latest entry in his Unplugged series; premiered yesterday via Earmilk, this catchy, hip-hop-meets-doo wop concoction finds the artist saying, “So What?” to the suits blowing up his phone, ultimately blowing them off in favor of a trip to the beach with his girl. I don’t know about y’all, but I think he made the right decision. While the now-indie emcee’s future plans remain up in the air, fans can tune in to The Booth next Monday for the next world premiere in Wax’s Unplugged series.
Written by richard on 09/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.