Breaking up with your label is never easy but, in the case of Wax‘s recent split with Def Jam, their parting ways may have been a blessing in disguise. For one thing, the Booth fave’s current single, Rosana, has risen to 3.2 million views on YouTube in the time since. For another, it’s hard to imagine the DMV repper happy in the world of boardroom meetings, constant pressure and artistic compromise that is the major-label hustle. By way of evidence, I present the latest entry in his Unplugged series; premiered yesterday via Earmilk, this catchy, hip-hop-meets-doo wop concoction finds the artist saying, “So What?” to the suits blowing up his phone, ultimately blowing them off in favor of a trip to the beach with his girl. I don’t know about y’all, but I think he made the right decision. While the now-indie emcee’s future plans remain up in the air, fans can tune in to The Booth next Monday for the next world premiere in Wax’s Unplugged series.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!