Normally I wouldn’t bring up a ‘90s band like Better Than Ezra on a hip-hop site like The DJBooth, but when I first saw the title of Wax’s Rosana some strange synapse in my brain fired and I immediately thought of Ezra’s Rosealia, which is actually strangely fitting considering both songs are about…um…women whose names start with the letter R. Ok, so maybe the two songs don’t have that much in common, but if anyone should appreciate an off-kilter pop culture reference it’s Wax. Featuring production by Nobody Famous that bravely blends hip-hop percussion with mariachi strings and horns, Rosana finds the Scrublife author contemplating a woman who’s sexual appetite is even bigger than he can possibly manager: “Lotta joy, lotta pleasure, lotta pain, lotta misery / she turn me over she be draining me physically.” Excuse me if my sympathy is limited, I believe that’s what they call a good problem. Catchy, creative and often hilarious, this standout selection is an ample indication of what awaits listeners on Wax’s Eviction Notice, available for free stream and download right here, right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.