On Booth debut, Music and Liquor, SoCal representative Wax spit a brutally honest chronicle of his struggles with the bottle, earning high reader praise for both his skills and his realness. Well, I’ve got good news and bad news. Bad news: nothing’s changed since we met him back in October. Good news… well, actually, that’s the good news, too. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, new single Red finds him as frustrated, f*cked-up and defiantly fresh as before. EOM once again mans the boards, cooking up a sparse, haunting beat fueled by Far-Eastern samples as Wax fills us in on his conflicted mindstate. Beginning with the announcement, “My future’s never been bright nor clear, so I don’t wear shades, I just buy more beer,” the emcee proceeds to drop three solid verses’ worth of the most cynically intelligent lyricism I’ve heard in a minute. As bitterly refreshing as a good Pinot Noir, this cut and much more can be found on Wax’s DJBooth-sponsored Scrublife mixtape, scheduled to hit our mixtape page sometime in late February/early March.
Written by richard on 01/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.