Countless emcees have looked to rap as a way to address personal issues that would normally be confined to therapy sessions and support groups – substance abuse being a prime example. But what do you do when art and addiction become so intimately intertwined as to be inseparable? On Booth debut/current single Music and Liquor, DMV native Wax struggles to come to grips with that very issue. Backed with the dreamy, haunting sampled boardwork of EOM, the artist takes a long, hard look in the mirror, admitting that he as a problem with alcohol but despairing of his inability to follow through on his plans to kick the habit. Of course, it doesn’t help that his pen game’s come to depend on a steady supply of liquor: “Addictive personality – ironically, I write my realest sh*t when I escape from reality.” While the lack of easy answers makes this joint a bittersweet listen, I have no doubt that Wax’s lyrical honesty will earn him respect from Booth readers. For more introspective jams, fans can check out the rapper’s Liquid Courage street album, available now online.
Written by richard on 10/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.