Countless emcees have looked to rap as a way to address personal issues that would normally be confined to therapy sessions and support groups – substance abuse being a prime example. But what do you do when art and addiction become so intimately intertwined as to be inseparable? On Booth debut/current single Music and Liquor, DMV native Wax struggles to come to grips with that very issue. Backed with the dreamy, haunting sampled boardwork of EOM, the artist takes a long, hard look in the mirror, admitting that he as a problem with alcohol but despairing of his inability to follow through on his plans to kick the habit. Of course, it doesn’t help that his pen game’s come to depend on a steady supply of liquor: “Addictive personality – ironically, I write my realest sh*t when I escape from reality.” While the lack of easy answers makes this joint a bittersweet listen, I have no doubt that Wax’s lyrical honesty will earn him respect from Booth readers. For more introspective jams, fans can check out the rapper’s Liquid Courage street album, available now online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.