I think Wax missed his Oscar for “Best Script” last night at the Academy Awards. Seriously. Purpose and plot belong in music just as much as it belongs in film, and hip-hop has had a gang of folks sweep the scene with stories that satisfy our ear space. SoCal emcee Wax gives script, score and then some with this redux of his newest release, Mary, a lyrical screenplay that features the chilling scenarios of films like Precious and Carrie matched with a 70’s action flick beat provided by Nobody Famous. Persuasive in delivery and emotionally uninhibited, Wax tells his cinematic tale over the driving, horn-driven soundtrack created by sir Famous, pausing to shout an incredibly up-tempo hook before Mary reaches its explosive climatic conclusion, knocking all competition out the park. I want to tell you good folks how it ends but that would spoil everything, especially when Mary goes and…uh…well..just wait and see for yourself. Grab some popcorn and block out a few hours to listen to Wax’s long-awaited Scrublife album when it drops March 15 via DJBooth.
Written by Sigmund's Dope on 02/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.