With thousands of loyal fans and several dope projects under his belt, I think it’s safe to say that Wax is doing well for himself. Even so, the Booth fave can’t help but wonder how things might have gone if he’d actually had his sh*t together, avoided weed and liquor, and applied himself from the get-go. On I Shoulda Tried Harder, the final single off his just-released independent debut album, the rapper revisits decades’ worth of squandered opportunities, wishing he’d put in that little bit of extra effort that could have set him on the path to 50 Cent or P. Diddy-scale success in the game. It all might be a little depressing, if it weren’t for Wax’s sunny, upbeat production, as well as his typically tongue-in-cheek delivery. Featuring this cut, reader-approved singles Toothbrush and We Can’t All Be Heroes and more, Continue… is available now for digital purchase via iTunes.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Wax’s Jay Ahn-directed I Shoulda Tried Harder visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Music and Liquor" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.