Some rappers pick up the mic on a lark, and if the public isn’t interested in what they’re peddling, they’ll return to their day job with only a slight sense of regret for what might have been. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Memphis-based Booth newcomer Wave Chapelle, a recent signee to Yo Gotti‘s CMG label, for whom success in the hip-hop game is quite literally a matter of life or death. As he puts it on the record’s hook: “That’s the difference between you and I / This your hobby but for me this sh*t is Do or Die.” Despite the urgency of his bars, the record’s overall mood is pleasantly laid-back, thanks to the boardwork of DJ Charlie White. The Booth-acclaimed producer backs Chapelle’s determined bars with languid percussion and ebbing, flowing synth tones. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Do or Die isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.