Some rappers pick up the mic on a lark, and if the public isn’t interested in what they’re peddling, they’ll return to their day job with only a slight sense of regret for what might have been. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Memphis-based Booth newcomer Wave Chapelle, a recent signee to Yo Gotti‘s CMG label, for whom success in the hip-hop game is quite literally a matter of life or death. As he puts it on the record’s hook: “That’s the difference between you and I / This your hobby but for me this sh*t is Do or Die.” Despite the urgency of his bars, the record’s overall mood is pleasantly laid-back, thanks to the boardwork of DJ Charlie White. The Booth-acclaimed producer backs Chapelle’s determined bars with languid percussion and ebbing, flowing synth tones. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Do or Die isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.