Some rappers pick up the mic on a lark, and if the public isn’t interested in what they’re peddling, they’ll return to their day job with only a slight sense of regret for what might have been. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Memphis-based Booth newcomer Wave Chapelle, a recent signee to Yo Gotti‘s CMG label, for whom success in the hip-hop game is quite literally a matter of life or death. As he puts it on the record’s hook: “That’s the difference between you and I / This your hobby but for me this sh*t is Do or Die.” Despite the urgency of his bars, the record’s overall mood is pleasantly laid-back, thanks to the boardwork of DJ Charlie White. The Booth-acclaimed producer backs Chapelle’s determined bars with languid percussion and ebbing, flowing synth tones. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Do or Die isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.