Some rappers pick up the mic on a lark, and if the public isn’t interested in what they’re peddling, they’ll return to their day job with only a slight sense of regret for what might have been. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Memphis-based Booth newcomer Wave Chapelle, a recent signee to Yo Gotti‘s CMG label, for whom success in the hip-hop game is quite literally a matter of life or death. As he puts it on the record’s hook: “That’s the difference between you and I / This your hobby but for me this sh*t is Do or Die.” Despite the urgency of his bars, the record’s overall mood is pleasantly laid-back, thanks to the boardwork of DJ Charlie White. The Booth-acclaimed producer backs Chapelle’s determined bars with languid percussion and ebbing, flowing synth tones. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Do or Die isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.