Some rappers pick up the mic on a lark, and if the public isn’t interested in what they’re peddling, they’ll return to their day job with only a slight sense of regret for what might have been. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Memphis-based Booth newcomer Wave Chapelle, a recent signee to Yo Gotti‘s CMG label, for whom success in the hip-hop game is quite literally a matter of life or death. As he puts it on the record’s hook: “That’s the difference between you and I / This your hobby but for me this sh*t is Do or Die.” Despite the urgency of his bars, the record’s overall mood is pleasantly laid-back, thanks to the boardwork of DJ Charlie White. The Booth-acclaimed producer backs Chapelle’s determined bars with languid percussion and ebbing, flowing synth tones. Feeling it? Then stay tuned; Do or Die isn’t part of a larger set, but we’ll keep you posted on the artist’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/14/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.