“Listen all of y’all, it’s a Sabotage!” With the obligatory Beastie Boys’ reference out of the way, Wale‘s latest single bears little in common with the Ill Communication classic that shares its title. Rather than shouting about a botched criminal caper, this joint finds the Maybach Music signee stepping into the Booth for a little mic therapy following a vicious argument with his girl. (In an impressive piece of method acting - or is it authentic? - the rapper gets increasingly hoarse over the course of the song). Over Cloudeater‘s production, a dreamy, sampled affair which belies the record’s stressful subject matter, Wale vents about the fickle, contrary behavior of the woman in question: “I’m trying to make a way, she never call back / She’s tryin’ to fall back, cause she say I’m all that / She only love me when I be ignoring / When I be doing throwin’ it on her, shawty brushing me off.” Complete with a chorus by Booth-approved crooner Lloyd, Sabotage is as ear-pleasing as it is relatable (At least, I’d be lying if I said a certain woman didn’t spring to mind). Wale’s sophomore set, Ambition is available wherever fine music is sold; fans can also cop the single via iTunes.
Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Wale’s “Sabotage” video.
Written by richard on 03/20/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.