In my coverage of Wale‘s May 17th show in Minne-ap, one detail that didn’t seem notable enough to mention, but that both the headliner and opener Muja Messiah pointed out during their sets, was that the attendees were overwhelmingly male; there were maybe eight ladies in the house, half of whom worked at the venue. Perhaps in an attempt to attract a few more girls—Pretty Girls, in particular—to his gigs, the D.C. buzzmaker has released a new track (I quote, “This isn’t a “single single,” but if it catches on…”) dedicated to the fairer sex. Best Kept Secret serves up a bombastic Go Go beat as the rapper regales the ladies with swagger-drenched come-ons. Lyrically, Wale stays well within his comfort zone, but his bouncy flow is as crowd-pleasing as ever, and the hook (borrowed from the Moments & Whatnauts’ Girls) won’t fail to take root in listeners’ heads. Complete with a bridge liable to start catfights on the dancefloor (“Ugly girls be quiet… pretty girls clap like this!”), PG will doubtless have listeners of both genders bobbing their heads, and stir up anticipation for the Q3 arrival of Attention: Deficit. For more fresh features from the DMV, check out Nothing But A Hero by D.C.‘s Tabi Bonney and I’m So Lebron, I’m So Kobe, a Booth-exclusive premiere from Maryland femcee RAtheMC!
Written by richard on 07/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.