In my coverage of Wale‘s May 17th show in Minne-ap, one detail that didn’t seem notable enough to mention, but that both the headliner and opener Muja Messiah pointed out during their sets, was that the attendees were overwhelmingly male; there were maybe eight ladies in the house, half of whom worked at the venue. Perhaps in an attempt to attract a few more girls—Pretty Girls, in particular—to his gigs, the D.C. buzzmaker has released a new track (I quote, “This isn’t a “single single,” but if it catches on…”) dedicated to the fairer sex. Best Kept Secret serves up a bombastic Go Go beat as the rapper regales the ladies with swagger-drenched come-ons. Lyrically, Wale stays well within his comfort zone, but his bouncy flow is as crowd-pleasing as ever, and the hook (borrowed from the Moments & Whatnauts’ Girls) won’t fail to take root in listeners’ heads. Complete with a bridge liable to start catfights on the dancefloor (“Ugly girls be quiet… pretty girls clap like this!”), PG will doubtless have listeners of both genders bobbing their heads, and stir up anticipation for the Q3 arrival of Attention: Deficit. For more fresh features from the DMV, check out Nothing But A Hero by D.C.‘s Tabi Bonney and I’m So Lebron, I’m So Kobe, a Booth-exclusive premiere from Maryland femcee RAtheMC!
Written by richard on 07/6/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)