As he prepares for the release of his debut studio album, it’s clear that Wale is dead serious about parlaying his 2008 buzz into mainstream success. With lead single Chillin’, the D.C. native incorporated a few lyrical nods to the car-crazy crowd, and the latest Attention: Deficit record to hit the Booth (leaked last Friday via Twitter) demonstrates that he’s equally intent on winning over the ladies. Though Penthouse Anthem‘s hook finds Wale shouting-out “all the stripper girls,” Mikey Mike‘s Kut Klose-sampling instrumental is all class, and provides an alluring, downtempo accompaniment to the emcee’s come-ons. Wale’s ultra-smooth rhymes here are a far cry from the neurotic sex talk he delivered with a knowing wink on Mixtape About Nothing‘s The Grown Up, but, then again, that record wasn’t really directed at the ladies—this truly grown-and-sexy cut should be just the thing to attract female listeners in anticipation of Attention: Deficit‘s arrival this summer.
Written by richard on 04/5/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.