As he prepares for the release of his debut studio album, it’s clear that Wale is dead serious about parlaying his 2008 buzz into mainstream success. With lead single Chillin’, the D.C. native incorporated a few lyrical nods to the car-crazy crowd, and the latest Attention: Deficit record to hit the Booth (leaked last Friday via Twitter) demonstrates that he’s equally intent on winning over the ladies. Though Penthouse Anthem‘s hook finds Wale shouting-out “all the stripper girls,” Mikey Mike‘s Kut Klose-sampling instrumental is all class, and provides an alluring, downtempo accompaniment to the emcee’s come-ons. Wale’s ultra-smooth rhymes here are a far cry from the neurotic sex talk he delivered with a knowing wink on Mixtape About Nothing‘s The Grown Up, but, then again, that record wasn’t really directed at the ladies—this truly grown-and-sexy cut should be just the thing to attract female listeners in anticipation of Attention: Deficit‘s arrival this summer.
Written by richard on 04/5/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.