As he prepares for the release of his debut studio album, it’s clear that Wale is dead serious about parlaying his 2008 buzz into mainstream success. With lead single Chillin’, the D.C. native incorporated a few lyrical nods to the car-crazy crowd, and the latest Attention: Deficit record to hit the Booth (leaked last Friday via Twitter) demonstrates that he’s equally intent on winning over the ladies. Though Penthouse Anthem‘s hook finds Wale shouting-out “all the stripper girls,” Mikey Mike‘s Kut Klose-sampling instrumental is all class, and provides an alluring, downtempo accompaniment to the emcee’s come-ons. Wale’s ultra-smooth rhymes here are a far cry from the neurotic sex talk he delivered with a knowing wink on Mixtape About Nothing‘s The Grown Up, but, then again, that record wasn’t really directed at the ladies—this truly grown-and-sexy cut should be just the thing to attract female listeners in anticipation of Attention: Deficit‘s arrival this summer.
Written by richard on 04/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.