“That’s tight, but who’s Wail?” That was the question from a blaspheming pedestrian who overheard me checking out Wale’s new cut Letter, featuring vocal samples from John Mayer‘s track 3x5. But before I started to get mad, I took a deep breath and remembered that the D.C. native just might have slipped under some people’s radar (especially those who think Wasted is the best track of ’09). He is a chameleon in the music industry, with a laid back style and a countless array of rhyme schemes who’s been featured on countless tracks showcasing his talents this year alone; and unlike Wayne, who often embarrasses his counterparts on a track, Wale actually makes the other artists better. Letter is no exception, as Wale uses production from phenom Mark Ronson and bluesman John Mayer’s harmonious refrain to share deep and topical thoughts with icons of his generation, including Pac and our current president. Letter was left off of Wale’s upcoming album Attention: Deficit, and if the unreleased material’s this good, I can only imagine how dope the album will be.
Written by Sigurd on 10/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.