“That’s tight, but who’s Wail?” That was the question from a blaspheming pedestrian who overheard me checking out Wale’s new cut Letter, featuring vocal samples from John Mayer‘s track 3x5. But before I started to get mad, I took a deep breath and remembered that the D.C. native just might have slipped under some people’s radar (especially those who think Wasted is the best track of ’09). He is a chameleon in the music industry, with a laid back style and a countless array of rhyme schemes who’s been featured on countless tracks showcasing his talents this year alone; and unlike Wayne, who often embarrasses his counterparts on a track, Wale actually makes the other artists better. Letter is no exception, as Wale uses production from phenom Mark Ronson and bluesman John Mayer’s harmonious refrain to share deep and topical thoughts with icons of his generation, including Pac and our current president. Letter was left off of Wale’s upcoming album Attention: Deficit, and if the unreleased material’s this good, I can only imagine how dope the album will be.
Listen to More: Wale
Written by Sigurd on 10/27/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.