“That’s tight, but who’s Wail?” That was the question from a blaspheming pedestrian who overheard me checking out Wale’s new cut Letter, featuring vocal samples from John Mayer‘s track 3x5. But before I started to get mad, I took a deep breath and remembered that the D.C. native just might have slipped under some people’s radar (especially those who think Wasted is the best track of ’09). He is a chameleon in the music industry, with a laid back style and a countless array of rhyme schemes who’s been featured on countless tracks showcasing his talents this year alone; and unlike Wayne, who often embarrasses his counterparts on a track, Wale actually makes the other artists better. Letter is no exception, as Wale uses production from phenom Mark Ronson and bluesman John Mayer’s harmonious refrain to share deep and topical thoughts with icons of his generation, including Pac and our current president. Letter was left off of Wale’s upcoming album Attention: Deficit, and if the unreleased material’s this good, I can only imagine how dope the album will be.
Listen to More: Wale Written by Sigurd
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.