When I spoke with Wale following his first performance in Minne-ap, the D.C.-Chillin’ emcee made clear that diversity and universality would be the chief foci of his debut set, expressing his hope to create music that would accompany listeners through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. In contrast to our previous features off Attention: Deficit, which seemed designed for sunny days and hard-partying nights, Ice & Rain, an unreleased cut left off the LP’s tracklist and leaked via Twitter to celebrate Wale reaching 80,000 followers, finds the rapper sailing stormier emotional seas. Over Cool & Dre‘s slow-burning beat, Chipmunk-sampled from James “D. Train” Williams’ Ice Melts into Rain, Wale spits the story of a suburban girl who runs away with a drug-dealing hustler—needless to say, a happy ending isn’t in the cards. Though I&R is a far cry from the bouncy jams that Wale’s best known for, those who prefer their hip-hop hard-hitting and topical will be intrigued by the thematic and stylistic range he showcases here. Those curious what else the emcee has up his sleeve can get the full picture Oct. 20th, when A:D hits stores.
Written by richard on 09/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)