Though Drake was ultimately chosen by our readers as “Breaking Through In ‘09,” most agreed that big things were in store for all five nominees. Two months have passed since we announced the winners, and it’s clear that Wale, for one, is angling to make that breakthrough happen sooner rather than later. Now, you’d think the momentous decision of which record to promote as his debut LP’s official lead single would have him shaking in his Nike Boots, but that isn’t the case—he’s simply Chillin’, secure in the knowledge that his selection has all the makings of a hit: though an early version was leaked in ‘08, the cut’s since been given a complete makeover courtesy of pop-savvy production duo Cool & Dre, who pair their lurching synths with an instantly recognizable sample (from 1969 hit Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye), and electro songstress Lady Gaga, who contributes some catchy, singsong vocals—meanwhile, the emcee showcases the acrobatic flow we’ve come to know and love. Attention: Deficit is tentatively scheduled for a June release.
Written by richard on 03/22/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.