Though Drake was ultimately chosen by our readers as “Breaking Through In ‘09,” most agreed that big things were in store for all five nominees. Two months have passed since we announced the winners, and it’s clear that Wale, for one, is angling to make that breakthrough happen sooner rather than later. Now, you’d think the momentous decision of which record to promote as his debut LP’s official lead single would have him shaking in his Nike Boots, but that isn’t the case—he’s simply Chillin’, secure in the knowledge that his selection has all the makings of a hit: though an early version was leaked in ‘08, the cut’s since been given a complete makeover courtesy of pop-savvy production duo Cool & Dre, who pair their lurching synths with an instantly recognizable sample (from 1969 hit Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye), and electro songstress Lady Gaga, who contributes some catchy, singsong vocals—meanwhile, the emcee showcases the acrobatic flow we’ve come to know and love. Attention: Deficit is tentatively scheduled for a June release.
Written by richard on 03/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.