Though Drake was ultimately chosen by our readers as “Breaking Through In ‘09,” most agreed that big things were in store for all five nominees. Two months have passed since we announced the winners, and it’s clear that Wale, for one, is angling to make that breakthrough happen sooner rather than later. Now, you’d think the momentous decision of which record to promote as his debut LP’s official lead single would have him shaking in his Nike Boots, but that isn’t the case—he’s simply Chillin’, secure in the knowledge that his selection has all the makings of a hit: though an early version was leaked in ‘08, the cut’s since been given a complete makeover courtesy of pop-savvy production duo Cool & Dre, who pair their lurching synths with an instantly recognizable sample (from 1969 hit Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye), and electro songstress Lady Gaga, who contributes some catchy, singsong vocals—meanwhile, the emcee showcases the acrobatic flow we’ve come to know and love. Attention: Deficit is tentatively scheduled for a June release.
Written by richard on 03/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.