Featured yesterday, J.A.M.E.S. Watts’ You’re My Life earned rave reviews for its heartfelt lyrics and cinematic sound, as well as piquing listeners’ interests about Rik Cordero’s forthcoming film, Inside A Change. Wale’s Family Affair is also set to appear on the soundtrack mixtape, and, sure enough, the parallels to Watts’ track are plain to see. Over a melancholy, organ-driven beat by Best Kept Secret, the emcee delves deeply into the psyches of a few of the film’s central characters. Shifting perspectives as he describes a young prostitute struggling to provide for her son in the wake of a husband and father’s death, Wale manages to tell an emotionally-resonant story without toning down his cerebral, allusive lyrical style—“This sh*t got me feelin’ Robert Beck, rather than Robin Thicke” took me a few minutes of research to figure out, and that’s just the opening line. This cut’s impressive, to say the least, and should stir up quite a bit of buzz for Inside a Change and its accompanying mixtape (both due out in July), as well as Wale’s forthcoming debut LP, Attention: Deficit (due out this summer).
Written by richard on 06/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.