Featured yesterday, J.A.M.E.S. Watts’ You’re My Life earned rave reviews for its heartfelt lyrics and cinematic sound, as well as piquing listeners’ interests about Rik Cordero’s forthcoming film, Inside A Change. Wale’s Family Affair is also set to appear on the soundtrack mixtape, and, sure enough, the parallels to Watts’ track are plain to see. Over a melancholy, organ-driven beat by Best Kept Secret, the emcee delves deeply into the psyches of a few of the film’s central characters. Shifting perspectives as he describes a young prostitute struggling to provide for her son in the wake of a husband and father’s death, Wale manages to tell an emotionally-resonant story without toning down his cerebral, allusive lyrical style—“This sh*t got me feelin’ Robert Beck, rather than Robin Thicke” took me a few minutes of research to figure out, and that’s just the opening line. This cut’s impressive, to say the least, and should stir up quite a bit of buzz for Inside a Change and its accompanying mixtape (both due out in July), as well as Wale’s forthcoming debut LP, Attention: Deficit (due out this summer).
Listen to More: Wale
Written by richard on 06/4/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)