Featured yesterday, J.A.M.E.S. Watts’ You’re My Life earned rave reviews for its heartfelt lyrics and cinematic sound, as well as piquing listeners’ interests about Rik Cordero’s forthcoming film, Inside A Change. Wale’s Family Affair is also set to appear on the soundtrack mixtape, and, sure enough, the parallels to Watts’ track are plain to see. Over a melancholy, organ-driven beat by Best Kept Secret, the emcee delves deeply into the psyches of a few of the film’s central characters. Shifting perspectives as he describes a young prostitute struggling to provide for her son in the wake of a husband and father’s death, Wale manages to tell an emotionally-resonant story without toning down his cerebral, allusive lyrical style—“This sh*t got me feelin’ Robert Beck, rather than Robin Thicke” took me a few minutes of research to figure out, and that’s just the opening line. This cut’s impressive, to say the least, and should stir up quite a bit of buzz for Inside a Change and its accompanying mixtape (both due out in July), as well as Wale’s forthcoming debut LP, Attention: Deficit (due out this summer).
Listen to More: Wale
Written by richard on 06/4/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.