The motivation behind Wale throwing in his lot with Maybach Music Group, and the much-discussed stylistic shift that accompanied his move, can be summed up in one word: Ambition. On the title track off his sophomore album, newly selected for promotion as a single/music video, the DMV heavyweight reflects on the effort he’s put in to come this far, and forecasts a future filled with big bucks and adulation. First to flow over T-Minus’ pensive synth production, MMG colleague Meek Mill reminisces about his days as a dope boy on the front, and label boss Ricky Rozay chronicles his own journey out the trap in an unusually down-to-earth middle 16. Mr. Folarin brings up the rear, offering his “well-wishes to the competition” before outlining precisely why he’s destined to leave them in the dust. How about it: are you, as Wale prophesizes on the chorus, “lovin’ [him] for his Ambition?” If so—and if you haven’t already copped the set—you’ll undoubtedly find more to appreciate on Wale’s second full-length, available in stores and online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 03/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.