The motivation behind Wale throwing in his lot with Maybach Music Group, and the much-discussed stylistic shift that accompanied his move, can be summed up in one word: Ambition. On the title track off his sophomore album, newly selected for promotion as a single/music video, the DMV heavyweight reflects on the effort he’s put in to come this far, and forecasts a future filled with big bucks and adulation. First to flow over T-Minus’ pensive synth production, MMG colleague Meek Mill reminisces about his days as a dope boy on the front, and label boss Ricky Rozay chronicles his own journey out the trap in an unusually down-to-earth middle 16. Mr. Folarin brings up the rear, offering his “well-wishes to the competition” before outlining precisely why he’s destined to leave them in the dust. How about it: are you, as Wale prophesizes on the chorus, “lovin’ [him] for his Ambition?” If so—and if you haven’t already copped the set—you’ll undoubtedly find more to appreciate on Wale’s second full-length, available in stores and online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 03/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.