The motivation behind Wale throwing in his lot with Maybach Music Group, and the much-discussed stylistic shift that accompanied his move, can be summed up in one word: Ambition. On the title track off his sophomore album, newly selected for promotion as a single/music video, the DMV heavyweight reflects on the effort he’s put in to come this far, and forecasts a future filled with big bucks and adulation. First to flow over T-Minus’ pensive synth production, MMG colleague Meek Mill reminisces about his days as a dope boy on the front, and label boss Ricky Rozay chronicles his own journey out the trap in an unusually down-to-earth middle 16. Mr. Folarin brings up the rear, offering his “well-wishes to the competition” before outlining precisely why he’s destined to leave them in the dust. How about it: are you, as Wale prophesizes on the chorus, “lovin’ [him] for his Ambition?” If so—and if you haven’t already copped the set—you’ll undoubtedly find more to appreciate on Wale’s second full-length, available in stores and online as of November 2011.
Written by richard on 03/14/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nike Boots" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)