Ah, the age old freestyle remix, when an artist essentially declares to the world “I can’t afford to buy original production and can’t come up with original ideas, so I’ll just go in over whatever’s hot right now.” Wait, what’s that? That’s not what Vonnegutt’s doing at all on their new release Find Your Love? I I should have known, the men of Vonnegutt are nothing If not original. While fans will undoubtedly recognize the core of the record as belonging to Drake, the beat gets a complete live instrument overhaul crafted by the headliners and producer Simon Illa. Behind the mic Drizzy’s plaintive crooning are replaced by Will Pugh (of Cartel) and the always eclectic Outasight, along with rhymes, of course, from Vonnegut frontman Kyle Lucas. It’s a fresh take on an old concept, but how does it compare to the original? That’s a question only you can answer DJBooth Nation, get at it in the comments below. For more hip-hop meets r&B meets punk meets whatever else Vonnegutt feels like throwing in the mix be sure to check out their upcoming $Free.99 Mixtape, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/20/11
AVJ Records/Purple Ribbon
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Follow Us" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)