Ah, the age old freestyle remix, when an artist essentially declares to the world “I can’t afford to buy original production and can’t come up with original ideas, so I’ll just go in over whatever’s hot right now.” Wait, what’s that? That’s not what Vonnegutt’s doing at all on their new release Find Your Love? I I should have known, the men of Vonnegutt are nothing If not original. While fans will undoubtedly recognize the core of the record as belonging to Drake, the beat gets a complete live instrument overhaul crafted by the headliners and producer Simon Illa. Behind the mic Drizzy’s plaintive crooning are replaced by Will Pugh (of Cartel) and the always eclectic Outasight, along with rhymes, of course, from Vonnegut frontman Kyle Lucas. It’s a fresh take on an old concept, but how does it compare to the original? That’s a question only you can answer DJBooth Nation, get at it in the comments below. For more hip-hop meets r&B meets punk meets whatever else Vonnegutt feels like throwing in the mix be sure to check out their upcoming $Free.99 Mixtape, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/20/11
AVJ Records/Purple Ribbon
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Follow Us" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.