Fresh off the release of his mixtape debut, So Motivational!, Tanya Morgan emcee Von Pea is already hard at work on a full-fledged studio album. Since Pea’s Gotta Have It‘s central theme is the artist’s high-school experience, it’s only appropriate he spend some time representing the ‘hood that served as the backdrop for those formative years, and represent he does on new single The Yorker. Brick Beats’ sampled instrumental (complete with live instrumentation by The Park) sets the mood for a wistful ode to NYC, and Pea laces the record with some fittingly nostalgic rhymes. In between witty boasts, the rapper makes clear that, however far his journeys may take him, the Big Apple is where his heart remains. ”New York is for us, the place that I miss when I’m on the tour bus…” Those digging this musical monument to hometown pride can find plenty more where this came from on Pea’s forthcoming LP, due out Oct. 12. In addition, Tanya Morgan fans in the L.A. area can catch the trio, along with West Coast vet Ahmad and more, at the latest Booth-sponsored showcase, going down this Tuesday.
Written by richard on 08/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Something to Do" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.