It’s common knowledge that, once you make it out of school and into the “real world,” all your doubts and insecurities disappear in a puff of smoke and you suddenly realize exactly what you need to be doing with your life… Nah, I’m just pulling your leg. The truth is usually much closer to the scenario described in Something to Do, the first solo feature from Tanya Morgan emcee Von Pea, On this newly-leaked cut, the Brooklyn native paints a vivid lyrical portrait of life as a twentysomething in the 2010s, constantly struggling to balance a time-consuming job with his higher ambitions (as well as the nagging urge to just pack up and skip town). Heavy stuff – good thing it’s backed by one of the most blissfully mellow beats I’ve heard in a minute. Eccentrically-named producer brandUn DeShay flips Luiz Eça y la Familia Sargrada’s rendition of Brazilian standard Pais Tropical into a breezy backdrop for Von Pea’s introspective rhymes. Like what you’re hearing? There’s plenty more where this came from on Pea’s So Motivational! mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 06/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Yorker" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.