It’s common knowledge that, once you make it out of school and into the “real world,” all your doubts and insecurities disappear in a puff of smoke and you suddenly realize exactly what you need to be doing with your life… Nah, I’m just pulling your leg. The truth is usually much closer to the scenario described in Something to Do, the first solo feature from Tanya Morgan emcee Von Pea, On this newly-leaked cut, the Brooklyn native paints a vivid lyrical portrait of life as a twentysomething in the 2010s, constantly struggling to balance a time-consuming job with his higher ambitions (as well as the nagging urge to just pack up and skip town). Heavy stuff – good thing it’s backed by one of the most blissfully mellow beats I’ve heard in a minute. Eccentrically-named producer brandUn DeShay flips Luiz Eça y la Familia Sargrada’s rendition of Brazilian standard Pais Tropical into a breezy backdrop for Von Pea’s introspective rhymes. Like what you’re hearing? There’s plenty more where this came from on Pea’s So Motivational! mixtape, available now online.
Listen to More: Von Pea
Written by richard on 06/27/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Yorker" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.