Regular Booth readers know that up-and-coming NJ emcee Voli is seemingly incapable of speaking anything but honest, passionate rhymes; you’ll find no racks on other racks here. Readers also know that when it comes to creative production you’d be hard pressed to do better than ATL production crew SMKA. Bring the two together and you get a combination the likes of which we haven’t seen since vodka first met cranberry. More specifically we get the worldwide premiere of Righteous Remain, a record even the completely numb should be able to feel. SMKA sets the pace with a piano driven and haunting beat containing an unidentified sample (can anyone name it?) and Voli grabs the baton with verses that drive Righteous’ emotional impact home: when he says “this is my soul” we have no choice but to believe him. Righteous Remains, along with plenty more dopeness (like previous leak Money Comes Fast from Jon Connor) can be found on the upcoming The Report mixtape, presented by DJBooth and SMKA and sponsored by Beat Kangz. It all goes down Wednesday, June 22, mark your calendars.
Written by Nathan S. on 06/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.