Gallons of ink have been spilled about the often unsavory representations of women in rap music, and the discussion has been undeniably thought-provoking. Be that as it may, no amount of lucid argumentation can prepare one for the shift in perspective that comes with being the parent of a little girl of one’s own. While I’m not sure whether Voli is a father himself or just a skilled storyteller, the Jersey rhymesayer vividly brings to life the anxieties that come with raising a daughter on Sweet Sixteen, the inaugural leak off his forthcoming full-length. Over his own production, a cinematic mix of live guitar (by Gavidia), piano and percussion, the freestyle alum describes the whirlwind of emotions he feels when the girl he just yesterday taught how to ride a bike reveals that she missed her period. Marveling at the speed with which teen pregnancy can render plans for the future obsolete, he spits, “I’ve been savin’, picked out your college, bought a new car, put down a deposit. / So what now, what I am I supposed to do, tell me?” Whether or not you’re able to relate to the heavy subject matter, the mounting intensity Voli brings to his bars makes for a bracing listen. If you’re feeling it, more fresh, innovative jams await on Voli’s The Wall LP, scheduled to hit online retailers in late summer.
Written by richard on 04/26/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)