Gallons of ink have been spilled about the often unsavory representations of women in rap music, and the discussion has been undeniably thought-provoking. Be that as it may, no amount of lucid argumentation can prepare one for the shift in perspective that comes with being the parent of a little girl of one’s own. While I’m not sure whether Voli is a father himself or just a skilled storyteller, the Jersey rhymesayer vividly brings to life the anxieties that come with raising a daughter on Sweet Sixteen, the inaugural leak off his forthcoming full-length. Over his own production, a cinematic mix of live guitar (by Gavidia), piano and percussion, the freestyle alum describes the whirlwind of emotions he feels when the girl he just yesterday taught how to ride a bike reveals that she missed her period. Marveling at the speed with which teen pregnancy can render plans for the future obsolete, he spits, “I’ve been savin’, picked out your college, bought a new car, put down a deposit. / So what now, what I am I supposed to do, tell me?” Whether or not you’re able to relate to the heavy subject matter, the mounting intensity Voli brings to his bars makes for a bracing listen. If you’re feeling it, more fresh, innovative jams await on Voli’s The Wall LP, scheduled to hit online retailers in late summer.
Written by richard on 04/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.