Gallons of ink have been spilled about the often unsavory representations of women in rap music, and the discussion has been undeniably thought-provoking. Be that as it may, no amount of lucid argumentation can prepare one for the shift in perspective that comes with being the parent of a little girl of one’s own. While I’m not sure whether Voli is a father himself or just a skilled storyteller, the Jersey rhymesayer vividly brings to life the anxieties that come with raising a daughter on Sweet Sixteen, the inaugural leak off his forthcoming full-length. Over his own production, a cinematic mix of live guitar (by Gavidia), piano and percussion, the freestyle alum describes the whirlwind of emotions he feels when the girl he just yesterday taught how to ride a bike reveals that she missed her period. Marveling at the speed with which teen pregnancy can render plans for the future obsolete, he spits, “I’ve been savin’, picked out your college, bought a new car, put down a deposit. / So what now, what I am I supposed to do, tell me?” Whether or not you’re able to relate to the heavy subject matter, the mounting intensity Voli brings to his bars makes for a bracing listen. If you’re feeling it, more fresh, innovative jams await on Voli’s The Wall LP, scheduled to hit online retailers in late summer.
Written by richard on 04/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.