There are rappers who just so happen to rhyme over great music. Then there are great musicians who just so happen to rap. It’s rare to find an artist who can do both, but with a record like Here, up-and-coming emcee Voli sure as hell puts himself in contention for placement in that category. Producing the beat himself (apart from the guitars, for which he brought in Gadivia), Here expertly blends various genres while still maintaining its hip-hop core. Speaking of which, the newcomer from Jersey (a DJBooth Freestyle series alum) mixes his production perfectly with the rest of the song’s elements, including the chorus and guitars. But ironically, the strength of the beat may have just overshadowed Voli’s rapping, pushing his solid flow and rhymes about the importance of staying true to your roots into the background. After dropping previous efforts Stress and Free, the producer/rapper who has worked with J. Cole and Elite is gearing up to release his upcoming, as-yet untitled EP. You know the DJBooth will keep you in the loop with new info as it becomes available.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.