There are rappers who just so happen to rhyme over great music. Then there are great musicians who just so happen to rap. It’s rare to find an artist who can do both, but with a record like Here, up-and-coming emcee Voli sure as hell puts himself in contention for placement in that category. Producing the beat himself (apart from the guitars, for which he brought in Gadivia), Here expertly blends various genres while still maintaining its hip-hop core. Speaking of which, the newcomer from Jersey (a DJBooth Freestyle series alum) mixes his production perfectly with the rest of the song’s elements, including the chorus and guitars. But ironically, the strength of the beat may have just overshadowed Voli’s rapping, pushing his solid flow and rhymes about the importance of staying true to your roots into the background. After dropping previous efforts Stress and Free, the producer/rapper who has worked with J. Cole and Elite is gearing up to release his upcoming, as-yet untitled EP. You know the DJBooth will keep you in the loop with new info as it becomes available.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)