There are rappers who just so happen to rhyme over great music. Then there are great musicians who just so happen to rap. It’s rare to find an artist who can do both, but with a record like Here, up-and-coming emcee Voli sure as hell puts himself in contention for placement in that category. Producing the beat himself (apart from the guitars, for which he brought in Gadivia), Here expertly blends various genres while still maintaining its hip-hop core. Speaking of which, the newcomer from Jersey (a DJBooth Freestyle series alum) mixes his production perfectly with the rest of the song’s elements, including the chorus and guitars. But ironically, the strength of the beat may have just overshadowed Voli’s rapping, pushing his solid flow and rhymes about the importance of staying true to your roots into the background. After dropping previous efforts Stress and Free, the producer/rapper who has worked with J. Cole and Elite is gearing up to release his upcoming, as-yet untitled EP. You know the DJBooth will keep you in the loop with new info as it becomes available.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 12/12/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)