Greatness goes hand in hand with sacrifice; in addition to giving up financial security and time with loved ones, artists on the rise are frequently forced to undergo significant personal changes on their way to the top. One emcee who’s willing to do whatever it takes to make it, Voli declares his former self “Gone for Good” on his latest feature. Recorded for inclusion in UK independent film Illegal Activity, this freshly-minted promo single sees the Jersey rapper/producer (and freestyle series alumnus) showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards; over his own dense, moody piano-synth instrumental, Voli delivers a feverish account of his struggle to grow into the legend he’s destined to become, apologizing to his family for isolating himself but ultimately reaffirming his commitment to the hustle. Singer/songwriter Justin Baron guests, adding to the ambiance with an emotionally-fraught chorus and bridge. Though this song isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it can hear more from Voli on SMKA‘s DJBooth-sponsored The Report EP, available here for free streaming/download. Watch for the artist’s next full-length, The Wall, to drop later this year.
Written by richard on 03/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.