I always enjoy a track just a little more when its artist and producer are the same; it just seems to carry a more personal tone. Just like Kanye, B.o.B., and XV before him, Voli is mesmerizing listeners with his dual ability, this time on Fade Away, a haunting single on the intricacies of love and its loss. Backed by a somber piano/guitar melody, Voli tells the tale of a friendship that took a heavy turn over a one-night stand and a foundation-shaking decision that would affect the rest of their lives: “Sometimes I think I might’ve been a better man for marrying her/ went from academic plans to unplanned parenthood.” It’s as evocative as it is beautiful, leaving listeners with something more than just a good song to vibe to. If you’re in no mood to simply let this one Fade Away, be sure to keep a lookout for the Freestyle Series alum dropping more poignant beats here at the DJBooth, and (hopefully) eventually blessing us with a full length project.
Written by Sigurd on 04/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.