I always enjoy a track just a little more when its artist and producer are the same; it just seems to carry a more personal tone. Just like Kanye, B.o.B., and XV before him, Voli is mesmerizing listeners with his dual ability, this time on Fade Away, a haunting single on the intricacies of love and its loss. Backed by a somber piano/guitar melody, Voli tells the tale of a friendship that took a heavy turn over a one-night stand and a foundation-shaking decision that would affect the rest of their lives: “Sometimes I think I might’ve been a better man for marrying her/ went from academic plans to unplanned parenthood.” It’s as evocative as it is beautiful, leaving listeners with something more than just a good song to vibe to. If you’re in no mood to simply let this one Fade Away, be sure to keep a lookout for the Freestyle Series alum dropping more poignant beats here at the DJBooth, and (hopefully) eventually blessing us with a full length project.
Written by Sigurd on 04/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.