Not glimpsed in the Booth since August of 2013, when he jumped on Earl Sweatshirt‘s Burgundy to deliver a hard-nosed guest 16, Vince Staples returns to our pages with single numero uno off his senior street album. On Nate, premiered last night via Complex, the Long Beach buzzmaker revisits his childhood relationship with his father, a drug dealer and addict whom he idolized despite frequent injunctions not to follow in his footsteps. While Vince’s lyrical account of his early life is alternately heartbreaking and bone-chilling, the record’s overall sound is surprisingly upbeat, thanks to Scoop DeVille‘s buoyant, soul-sampled production. Cocaine 80s frontman James Fauntleroy takes center stage on the bridge, turning in a stirring vocal performance that glitters with overdubbed harmonies. Featuring this poignant cut and much more, Shyne Coldchain Vol. 2 is out now online.
Update: We have added the Alexi Papalexopoulos-directed visuals for Vince Staples’ Nate single.
Written by richard on 03/21/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Guns & Roses" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.