Not glimpsed in the Booth since August of 2013, when he jumped on Earl Sweatshirt‘s Burgundy to deliver a hard-nosed guest 16, Vince Staples returns to our pages with single numero uno off his senior street album. On Nate, premiered last night via Complex, the Long Beach buzzmaker revisits his childhood relationship with his father, a drug dealer and addict whom he idolized despite frequent injunctions not to follow in his footsteps. While Vince’s lyrical account of his early life is alternately heartbreaking and bone-chilling, the record’s overall sound is surprisingly upbeat, thanks to Scoop DeVille‘s buoyant, soul-sampled production. Cocaine 80s frontman James Fauntleroy takes center stage on the bridge, turning in a stirring vocal performance that glitters with overdubbed harmonies. Featuring this poignant cut and much more, Shyne Coldchain Vol. 2 is out now online.
Update: We have added the Alexi Papalexopoulos-directed visuals for Vince Staples’ Nate single.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Guns & Roses" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.