Can you see it, Booth readers: the Music in the Air? If so, you either just dropped acid or you have a (totally harmless) neurological condition called synesthesia. As for which of those possibilities applies to Victoria Monet, well, we can only speculate. A songwriter who’s penned records for Dirty Money, Pitbull and Ray J (to name a few), the Los Angeles-based songbird invites listeners to open their ears’ eyes (or should that be eyes’ ears?) and peep what’s really important on the inaugural leak off her debut solo project. Backed by Tommy Brown and Travis Sayles’ beat, a cinematic affair which develops from a pensive synth-percussion verse to a maximalist, string-drenched chorus (complete with distorted vocoder accompaniment à la Yeezy‘s Runaway outro), Monet showcases a vocal style as soulful as it is vivid. If I wanted to be really pretentious, I might describe this intricately-textured jam as “painterly;” instead, I’ll just advise those who are feeling it to stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of the artist’s as yet untitled/unscheduled digital EP.
Written by richard on 02/28/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.