Can you see it, Booth readers: the Music in the Air? If so, you either just dropped acid or you have a (totally harmless) neurological condition called synesthesia. As for which of those possibilities applies to Victoria Monet, well, we can only speculate. A songwriter who’s penned records for Dirty Money, Pitbull and Ray J (to name a few), the Los Angeles-based songbird invites listeners to open their ears’ eyes (or should that be eyes’ ears?) and peep what’s really important on the inaugural leak off her debut solo project. Backed by Tommy Brown and Travis Sayles’ beat, a cinematic affair which develops from a pensive synth-percussion verse to a maximalist, string-drenched chorus (complete with distorted vocoder accompaniment à la Yeezy‘s Runaway outro), Monet showcases a vocal style as soulful as it is vivid. If I wanted to be really pretentious, I might describe this intricately-textured jam as “painterly;” instead, I’ll just advise those who are feeling it to stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of the artist’s as yet untitled/unscheduled digital EP.
Written by richard on 02/28/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)