Can you see it, Booth readers: the Music in the Air? If so, you either just dropped acid or you have a (totally harmless) neurological condition called synesthesia. As for which of those possibilities applies to Victoria Monet, well, we can only speculate. A songwriter who’s penned records for Dirty Money, Pitbull and Ray J (to name a few), the Los Angeles-based songbird invites listeners to open their ears’ eyes (or should that be eyes’ ears?) and peep what’s really important on the inaugural leak off her debut solo project. Backed by Tommy Brown and Travis Sayles’ beat, a cinematic affair which develops from a pensive synth-percussion verse to a maximalist, string-drenched chorus (complete with distorted vocoder accompaniment à la Yeezy‘s Runaway outro), Monet showcases a vocal style as soulful as it is vivid. If I wanted to be really pretentious, I might describe this intricately-textured jam as “painterly;” instead, I’ll just advise those who are feeling it to stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of the artist’s as yet untitled/unscheduled digital EP.
Written by richard on 02/28/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.