Can you see it, Booth readers: the Music in the Air? If so, you either just dropped acid or you have a (totally harmless) neurological condition called synesthesia. As for which of those possibilities applies to Victoria Monet, well, we can only speculate. A songwriter who’s penned records for Dirty Money, Pitbull and Ray J (to name a few), the Los Angeles-based songbird invites listeners to open their ears’ eyes (or should that be eyes’ ears?) and peep what’s really important on the inaugural leak off her debut solo project. Backed by Tommy Brown and Travis Sayles’ beat, a cinematic affair which develops from a pensive synth-percussion verse to a maximalist, string-drenched chorus (complete with distorted vocoder accompaniment à la Yeezy‘s Runaway outro), Monet showcases a vocal style as soulful as it is vivid. If I wanted to be really pretentious, I might describe this intricately-textured jam as “painterly;” instead, I’ll just advise those who are feeling it to stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of the artist’s as yet untitled/unscheduled digital EP.
Written by richard on 02/28/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.