Can you see it, Booth readers: the Music in the Air? If so, you either just dropped acid or you have a (totally harmless) neurological condition called synesthesia. As for which of those possibilities applies to Victoria Monet, well, we can only speculate. A songwriter who’s penned records for Dirty Money, Pitbull and Ray J (to name a few), the Los Angeles-based songbird invites listeners to open their ears’ eyes (or should that be eyes’ ears?) and peep what’s really important on the inaugural leak off her debut solo project. Backed by Tommy Brown and Travis Sayles’ beat, a cinematic affair which develops from a pensive synth-percussion verse to a maximalist, string-drenched chorus (complete with distorted vocoder accompaniment à la Yeezy‘s Runaway outro), Monet showcases a vocal style as soulful as it is vivid. If I wanted to be really pretentious, I might describe this intricately-textured jam as “painterly;” instead, I’ll just advise those who are feeling it to stay tuned for more fresh music leading up to the release of the artist’s as yet untitled/unscheduled digital EP.
Written by richard on 02/28/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)