Whether consciously or not, artists are often motivated by the desire to create something that will outlast them. Such is definitely the case for Vic Mensa, who comes face to face with his own mortality on Holy Holy, a standout cut off his latest mixtape. Backed by Cam, Peter Cottontale and Om’Ma‘s string-laced production, the Kids These Days alumnus meditates on life’s fleeting nature, and the legacy he’d leave behind if he were to die today. After Vic’s said his piece, West Coast buzzmaker Ab-Soul grabs the mic to pay tribute to late girlfriend and TDE labelmate Alori Joh in a deeply personal closing verse. BJ The Chicago Kid lends his vocals to the hook. This poignant jam is just one of many quality cuts to be found on Mensa’s INNANETAPE, released to the ‘net earlier this month.
Written by richard on 10/10/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.