Thought you knew Vic Mensa? Think again. To kick off his 2014, the SaveMoney affiliate’s unleashed a new promo single that I probably wouldn’t have recognized as his work, if his name hadn’t been attached. Smoko Ono‘s boardwork is the first sign that this ain’t your typical Mensa joint; far removed from the lush, soulful arrangements of the INNANETAPE, the minimal synth/percucssion beat is more reminiscent of a DJ Mustard-esque ratchet slapper. The artist switches up his flow and subject matter to match, rhyming about weed, lean, money and dime pieces in a louche, blunted drawl. How about it, readers: is this style a good look for Vic Mensa? Whatever your take on his latest experiment, of course, you can keep it locked to our front page for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.