Thought you knew Vic Mensa? Think again. To kick off his 2014, the SaveMoney affiliate’s unleashed a new promo single that I probably wouldn’t have recognized as his work, if his name hadn’t been attached. Smoko Ono‘s boardwork is the first sign that this ain’t your typical Mensa joint; far removed from the lush, soulful arrangements of the INNANETAPE, the minimal synth/percucssion beat is more reminiscent of a DJ Mustard-esque ratchet slapper. The artist switches up his flow and subject matter to match, rhyming about weed, lean, money and dime pieces in a louche, blunted drawl. How about it, readers: is this style a good look for Vic Mensa? Whatever your take on his latest experiment, of course, you can keep it locked to our front page for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.