Thought you knew Vic Mensa? Think again. To kick off his 2014, the SaveMoney affiliate’s unleashed a new promo single that I probably wouldn’t have recognized as his work, if his name hadn’t been attached. Smoko Ono‘s boardwork is the first sign that this ain’t your typical Mensa joint; far removed from the lush, soulful arrangements of the INNANETAPE, the minimal synth/percucssion beat is more reminiscent of a DJ Mustard-esque ratchet slapper. The artist switches up his flow and subject matter to match, rhyming about weed, lean, money and dime pieces in a louche, blunted drawl. How about it, readers: is this style a good look for Vic Mensa? Whatever your take on his latest experiment, of course, you can keep it locked to our front page for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)