Thought you knew Vic Mensa? Think again. To kick off his 2014, the SaveMoney affiliate’s unleashed a new promo single that I probably wouldn’t have recognized as his work, if his name hadn’t been attached. Smoko Ono‘s boardwork is the first sign that this ain’t your typical Mensa joint; far removed from the lush, soulful arrangements of the INNANETAPE, the minimal synth/percucssion beat is more reminiscent of a DJ Mustard-esque ratchet slapper. The artist switches up his flow and subject matter to match, rhyming about weed, lean, money and dime pieces in a louche, blunted drawl. How about it, readers: is this style a good look for Vic Mensa? Whatever your take on his latest experiment, of course, you can keep it locked to our front page for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.