Thought you knew Vic Mensa? Think again. To kick off his 2014, the SaveMoney affiliate’s unleashed a new promo single that I probably wouldn’t have recognized as his work, if his name hadn’t been attached. Smoko Ono‘s boardwork is the first sign that this ain’t your typical Mensa joint; far removed from the lush, soulful arrangements of the INNANETAPE, the minimal synth/percucssion beat is more reminiscent of a DJ Mustard-esque ratchet slapper. The artist switches up his flow and subject matter to match, rhyming about weed, lean, money and dime pieces in a louche, blunted drawl. How about it, readers: is this style a good look for Vic Mensa? Whatever your take on his latest experiment, of course, you can keep it locked to our front page for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.