Absent from our pages since October of 2010, Booth-acclaimed up-and-comer Vibes has returned with a little something for the West Side – West Jersey City, that is. A Booth-exclusive world premiere, this newly-leaked EP inclusion find the Trackfiends flipping a string-accented soul sample into a sunny but driving backdrop for the freestyle series alumnus’ nostalgia-drenched bars. Though he doesn’t neglect to pepper his verses with local references (”I’m on my Lincoln Park, that mean I shoot the ball… ”), Vibes focuses on crafting images that any urbanite should be able to appreciate: “We used to crack a brew, have a few laughs on the stoop, hustlin’, just doin’ what we had to do.” So, is this joint “just another ‘hood song,” or has the Jersey buzzmaker struck a vein of universal appeal? I think I know the answer but, as always, Booth readers get the final say. Those digging this heartfelt hometown anthem can hear more where West Side came from on Vibes’ forthcoming Bay Parkway EP, prelude to the artist’s DJBooth.net-sponsored King’s Highway street album.
Written by richard on 03/9/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.